Current:Home > InvestTrial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -Capitatum
Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 13:57:14
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (6534)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- The number of Americans at risk of wildfire exposure has doubled in the last 2 decades. Here's why
- Watchdog faults ineffective Border Patrol process for release of migrant on terror watchlist
- This $70 17-Piece Kitchen Knife Set With 52,000+ Five-Star Amazon Reviews Is on Sale for $39
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- How the Marine Corps Struck Gold in a Trash Heap As Part of the Pentagon’s Fight Against Climate Change
- Shark attacks, sightings in New York and Florida put swimmers on high alert
- Animals Can Get Covid-19, Too. Without Government Action, That Could Make the Coronavirus Harder to Control
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Drilling, Mining Boom Possible But Unlikely Under Trump’s Final Plan for Southern Utah Lands
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Global Warming Means More Insects Threatening Food Crops — A Lot More, Study Warns
- Persistent poverty exists across much of the U.S.: The ultimate left-behind places
- A New Study Closes the Case on the Mysterious Rise of a Climate Super-Pollutant
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Celebrate Pride Month & Beyond With These Rainbow Fashion & Beauty Essentials
- In Two Opposite Decisions on Alaska Oil Drilling, Biden Walks a Difficult Path in Search of Bipartisanship
- Naomi Watts Marries Billy Crudup: See the Couple's Adorable Wedding Photo
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Jessie J Reveals Name of Her and Boyfriend Chanan Safir Colman's One-Month-Old Son
Global Warming Means More Insects Threatening Food Crops — A Lot More, Study Warns
Warming Trends: A Manatee with ‘Trump’ on its Back, a Climate Version of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons and an Arctic Podcast
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Energy Execs’ Tone on Climate Changing, But They Still See a Long Fossil Future
Why the Ozempic Conversation Has Become Unavoidable: Breaking Down the Controversy
Lea Michele, Lupita Nyong'o and More Stars Dazzle at the 2023 Tony Awards